You know how sometimes you'll be sailing along with a recipe or instruction booklet for your new Ikea furniture, or let's say maybe your Amy Butler Kimono Pattern from In Stitches, when you'll read one of the instructions and muse to yourself "Oh heck, I don't need to do that! I'm a pro. That there instruction is for newbies. Newbies who surely aren't having such an easy time of putting together this soon to be awesome kimono..." and well, you all know what's coming.
For the record, the instruction was something to the effect of: Now take masking tape and label all the pieces you just cut out so you don't confuse them. And I, for the record, thought that was insane because really who is going to confuse a belt with a sleeve afterall? But then, I confused the sleeves with the front panels and chirped along my merry way and cut two big corners off my sleeves to make what is supposed to be a nice collar line in the front panels of the kimono. Then I swore. Then I scrambled at my fabric scraps and noticed that for once I managed to buy nearly exactly the right amount of fabric (the right amount calculated before one messes up the sleeves and has to recut them that is) and so abandoned the project for a few days in total kicking-oneself-in-the-butt frustration. I returned to it on the weekend and managed to salvage enough fabric out of the scraps to make two slightly shorter than suggested sleeves, but that seems ok as they're still going to require a fair bit of hemming for me.
I'd like to say I learned my lesson, but I probably didn't.
By the way that fabric there is what I used. No, not the pretty Freshcut on top, that will become my new favourite pj pants any day now. No I used the chocolate brown cotton and have put a blue collar and belt on. The fabric was called a "linen-like" cotton and that's really the best description. Photos as soon as I hem it all.